Date Last Revised: December 20, 2020
Title: Field Technician I/II
Reports To: Vice President of Operations
The Field Technician plays a critical role at Vaspian. As the primary technical position interacting with our customers, the Field Technician focuses on conducting technical evaluations of customer sites, preparing and installing equipment for new customer installations, and troubleshooting and resolving technical issues remotely and at various customer locations. The Field Technician is also a key resource for the Vaspian Technical Support team, assisting with the resolution of complex technical issues and sharing skills and knowledge in order to help advance the technical capability of the rest of the Vaspian team. The Field Technician is expected to consistently provide input and recommendations on technical and process improvement opportunities and partner with internal engineering teams in the design and implementain of system and process improvements.
• Ability and experience working with VolP, LAN networking, network routing and subnetting networks.
• Responsible for customer desktop support and network troubleshooting.
• Responsible for understanding and having the ability to install and repair legacy POTS systems, fax machines, alarm systems, structured wiring, tie downs, and punch down blocks.
• Responsible for running structured wiring through offices or other client sites.
• Configures routers and Mediatrix devices in preparation for installation at customers’ sites.
• Responsible for mounting hardware at customer premise, including working with power tools.
• Operates office equipment including fax, copier, etc.
• Responsible for handling escalations and time critical issues.
• Responsible for new customer installations, including softphones.
• Acts as next level escalation support for Technical Support team.
• Troubleshoots and resolves customer issues, documents work in the ticketing system, and proactively and consistently communicates with customers.
• Uses diagnostic tools to identify the source of system performance issues. Works closely with internal engineers throughout the troubleshooting process. Dispatched to customer sites for equipment set-up, repair, and replacement.
• Opens and manages carrier tickets throughout the life of an issue, ensuring ongoing communication and documentation occurs.
• Conducts site surveys in support of the new customer installation process. Ensures detailed documentation is provided with the customer’s equipment and installation requirements in the standard site survey format.
• Partners with Project Manager on all aspects of the installation process.
• Responsible for preparing and ensuring all customer equipment has arrived prior to install.
• Identifies trends and proposes potential solutions.
• Responsible for openly sharing feedback with peers and leaders.
• Answers customer support calls as required based on business need.
• Works on development toward promotion to Field Technician II.
• Preforms other duties as assigned.
To achieve promotion to a Field Technician II role, you would be able to demonstrate these additional essential responsibilities/Accountabilities:
• Proficient in all Field Technician I skills.
• Responsible for training and being a mentor to the Field Technician I.
• Acts as an ongoing resource for the Field Technician I.
• Serves as an escalation point for the Technical Support team.
• Identifies opportunities for system and process improvements, shares observations and recommendations, and partners with internal technical teams to implement.
• High School Diploma or GED required
• Some college or technical training in a related field a plus
• Network Certification a plus
• Valid NYS driver’s license and availability of reliable transportation
• Two + years’ experience in a technical role (broadband and or telephony)
• Field experience a plus
Knowledge, Skills, and Other Abilities:
• Excellent oral and written communication and public relations skills
• Service orientation and a sincere willingness to assist others
• Detail oriented with a commitment to producing high quality work
• Ability to organize and prioritize workload and juggle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Ability to work independently, with little supervision
• Ability to apply common sense, experience, and theory towards problem-solving and decision-making
• Ability to interact with customers in a fast-paced, tense environment while maintaining composure and professionalism
• Ability to train customers and other employees in the use of Vaspian products, services, and tools
• Ability to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, and holidays
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• This position works in a typical office environment, at remote sites and at customer sites
o Movements frequently and regularly required using the wrists, hands, and/or fingers
o Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time
o Able to hear average or normal conversations in person and by phone
o Must be able to communicate with others to exchange information in person and by phone
o Average, ordinary visual acuity necessary to prepare or inspect documents, systems or equipment
• Ability to move and carry large and heavy objects
• Ability to frequently travel to customer sites
• Ability to work in tight spaces
• Ability to work in all weather conditions and at various heights
In support of the Americans with Disabilities Act, this job description lists only those responsibilities and qualifications deemed essential to the position.
Equal Opportunity Employer